What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Wednesday, January 21, 2015

REM Gets Sassy


In 1989, a short lived teen magazine called Sassy offered up an REM flexi-disc.   It was truly an odd pairing.  The magazine seemed to be grooming teens into fashion victims.  REM was a college radio darling at the time and just signed to Warner Brothers.   The song they chose to offer was even stranger.  Dark Globe which was written by Syd Barrett - former leader of Pink Floyd and psychedelia's most celebrated acid casualty.  I can't help but wonder if REM was in on the joke.






I must confess, I bought a copy of the magazine to get the record. I don't feel good about myself.  Maybe if I bought some cute leggings or hair scrunchies I'd feel better.

Writing the post inspired me to play the Madcap Laughs by Syd Barrett to hear the original.  I'm listening to it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment