What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Sunday, June 24, 2018

RIP Series - DJ Fontana

A week or so before the passing of Nick Knox, we lost DJ Fontana.

DJ was Elvis' drummer.  The man who invented the sparse rockabilly backbeat that became a staple in rock and roll.    Never featured on the covers of Elvis records and rarely credited, most fans of early Elvis are well familiar with DJ, Scotty and Bill.

So here's Elvis's 2nd album to take a gander at......

Elvis Presley - Elvis (RCA 1956)

Elvis was the first artist to have two albums go straight to Number 1 in the same year.   I found this one at an estate sale in my neighborhood.   I had a reissue in fake stereo, but was thrilled to see it in glorious mono.





The cover was a bit beat up, but what I ended up with was a first edition complete with the ad back.  As you can see, RCA's output at the time did not contain ANY rock and roll artists. 




The record sounds surprisingly clean considering the condition of the cover and appearance of the vinyl.




No comments:

Post a Comment