What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Thursday, February 28, 2019

RIP Series - Peter Tork

We just lost Peter Tork.



The Monkees were favorite of mine from my youth that I'm not yet embarrassed to have liked.  Allow me to begin a rant of mine. 

The Monkees deserve a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  More so than Joan Jett, ABBA, and a host of others.   You naysayers may say they never played their instruments or wrote their own songs.   Well piss on you jack.   Here are some arguments:

1.  They didn't play their own instruments, but pretended to:  Well The Beach Boys didn't play on most of their records either. That was The Wrecking Crew.  The Beach Boys got a pass.

2.  They didn't write or produce their own material:   Where would The Supremes be without the Motown session musicians and the songwriting machine behind them?  The Jacksons (including pedophile Michael) as well.  And Madonna - how many people does it take to write an produce a record?   They got a pass.

3.  The Monkees pretty much created the music video.  This put the end to rock stars looking geeky.  It was all about personality once MTV came on the scene and ruined everything.

4..  They made some awesome records that still hold up.  I'm listening to the HEAD soundtrack right now.

5.  They are responsible for my appreciation of 45's.   Pleasant Valley Sunday was the first time I realized the single mix was different from the album mix.  So began my obsessions.

 
So let 'em in.  Just do it.  While you're at it, lets get Eno and King Crimson in as well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment