What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Monday, June 1, 2020

RIP Series - Phil May

 Not a household name in the USA, Phil May, the front man for The Pretty Things has died.   the Pretties were the loudest and snottiest of the British Invasion bands.   They are best known in my generation for their two songs featured on Bowie's Pin-Ups LP - Rosalyn and Don't Bring Me Down.

Phil was the singer.  Pictured here front and center on this compilation album of early 45's.


So what can be said of the band?  Their guitar player was the original bass player for The Rolling Stones (before Bill Wyman).  They released the first rock opera - SF Sorrow - before The Who's Tommy.  Their 1970 album Parachute (a must have in my opinion) topped the Rolling Stone critics list that year.   They released two LP's on Led Zeppelin's Swan Song label. They kept at it until the end with the late career CDs Rage Before Beauty and Balboa Island.




No comments:

Post a Comment