What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Ultimate Spinach

When I first saw this record at End of An Ear in Austin, TX, I thought it was a spoof.   The name of the band meant I had to at least check it out.  I love bad psych albums.  But no, it was a real band.  It ain't half bad either.

Ultimate Spinach (MGM 1969)




The name sounds like a fictitious band from a 60's sitcom.  The Velvet Vultures from Family Affair comes to mind.   Or The Atomic Enchilada from The Turtles 'Battle of the Bands' album.  

A little research reveals this is the third album by an established band from the psychedelic Boston scene.   One of the musicians here is Jeff Baxter, later of the Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan.



My favorite track on this is Eddie's Rush.  I don't think he was trying to join a frat.

No comments:

Post a Comment