What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Friday, October 28, 2016

I is for Iron Butterfly

A one hit wonder band with their 17 minute 'hit single.'    They tend to get lumped in with the San Francisco bands at the time, but they were actually from San Diego.  Their name is said to have influenced Led Zeppelin with their heavy/light juxtaposition.

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida  (ATCO 1968)

This would be their second album.

One of the first riffs I ever learned on guitar.  The title comes from the slurring of the words 'In the Garden of Eden.'  Even though the title track clocks in at a little over 17 minutes, there is a 45 version that comes in under 3.  It eliminates all the filler.   IMHO it makes a great single.




Everyone knows the title song, but I challenge anyone to hum a few bars from Side 1.



The band follows up this LP with Ball in 1969 and Metamorphosis in 1970.  Neither was met with much success.  They continued on with constant personnel changes well into the 2010's with only the drummer remaining from the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida lineup.  That's like calling Ringo and His All Starr Band The Beatles.   I wonder if they can get away with doing a gig without playing the full length signature song.

No comments:

Post a Comment