What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Friday, October 13, 2017

Goodbye Harry Dean....

Elton John re-adapted Candle in the Wind as a tribute to Princess Diana who had recently died in a drunken irresponsible seatbeltless high speed chase in Paris.  Per noted philosopher Keith Richards, the song was then turned into a generic tribute to 'dead blonde chicks'

So let's open it up.  Adapt it as a tribute to Harry Dean Stanton.   He's more deserving than a silver spoon princess.  Besides, the cadence of the opening line fits perfectly.

But this is a blog about records, not about actors.   I'm not generally impressed by actors or celebrities.   I live in Los Angeles.  Actors work in restaurants and deliver pizza.  It's a running gag here when someone says they're an actor you ask them which restaurant they work at.  Harry Dean Stanton was an exception.  He was fun to see in public - more on that at the bottom of this post.

Harry Dean Stanton was in one of my favorite movies with one of my favorite movie soundtracks.

Music From the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack "Repo Man" (San Andreas 1984).



The opening track and title song by Iggy Pop is a classic.  One of the best movie songs ever.  Still held in high regards by Iggy fans.  It was still in the setlist when I saw Iggy last summer.

It didn't win the Academy Award  - that went to 'I Just Called to Say I Love You' by Stevie Wonder.   (sorry about the earworm - put on some Iggy to get rid of it - NOW!)

We get three contributions from The Plugz - a latino East LA punk band - including their spanish language version of Secret Agent Man.

Two contributions from LA punk band The Circle Jerks - one of them a lounge version of their 'hit' When The Shit Hits the Fan.



It was released on San Andreas Records - a label created by MCA records to market this soundtrack.   This was the only release on the label.




So anyway-back to Harry Dean Stanton and Repo Man (the movie).  See it.  It's got more quotable lines than Casablanca and Blazing Saddles combined.     And as for Harry Dean, he lived near me.  I used to see him taking out his trash at about 5:30 PM in his bathrobe.  Here's a photo.




 'The more you drive, the less intelligent you are"







No comments:

Post a Comment