What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Exotic Island - Martin Denny Light



In the vein of Martin Denny, I give you The Sounds of Exotic Island by the Surfmen.  


I know absolutely nothing about this record.  I got it from a friend who gave me first crack at the records being sold when her mom was 'downsizing.'   She thinks it belonged to her father.  

There's something special about this record that makes it a joy to bring out at parties.  The Martin Denny Orchestra included band members who made bird calls.  These bird calls sounded real and added to the tropical rain forest feel of the music.

Well, the Surfmen, whoever they are, adopted this technique as well. In contrast, they weren't that good at it.  The result is the sound of humans going 'caw caw' very loudly over the music.  You don't have to be a member of the Audobon Society to know it's not a bird. 





Oh yes, and a pretty racy cover as well.  That might have been why my friend's father bought it.  It couldn't have been the music. I can't tell where the Sweet Leilani ends and the orchid begins.  Kind of reminds me of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' for some reason.

1 comment:

  1. Do you happen to have anything from The Surfmen Sounds From The Exotic Island ? If so can you please post it.

    http://recordoobscura.blogspot.com/2010/01/exotic-island.html

    ReplyDelete