What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Sunday, October 11, 2015

My Gear


My setup is below.  I moved into one of those mid-century modern type homes nearly 20 years ago.  Everything was built in - including the stereo.   The cabinet you see below held a turntable/radio combo on a pullout shelf if the upper right.   The other three cabinets were designed to hold records,  There were dividers that fit into the little slats to hold the LP's upright.   I did a little adaptive re-use to hold all the junk I have.  The speakers were built into the bookshelf above.  That wouldn't do for my needs either.   Details on the gear below the picture.


Top to bottom left side.

Technics SL-D2 turntable.  One of my two trusty workhorses,
Onkyo Cassette Deck - My cassette decks were idle for many years.  When I went through some old tapes I realized that none of them worked anymore.  Probably due to disintegrated belts.  I got this one at a Thrift Store for $10.  Works grand and my Grateful Dead tapes thank it.

Top to bottom right side.

Sennheiser Wireless Headphones.  Allows me to play records while kids are doing homework or I'm out in the yard,
Yamaha Receiver - a  400 Watt job.  The newest piece of equipment I own.  Had to search far and wide for one with a phono input and only two channels
Sony Blu-Ray player - Since this whole system is connected to the TV in the next cabinet, video equipment is part of this setup.
Denon CD Player - Originally the plan was to retire this when I got the Blu-ray, but I soon discovered that this has a better sound than the Blu-ray.  This was a high end audiophile piece.  I auditioned it with acoustic music at the store and it had the best sound by far.  I got it for a good price at a store that claimed to match any price at other stores.  I lied that I saw it for $100 less at Costco.  They gave it to me for that discounted price.
SonyVCR.  I still have occasion to play video tapes.  Same thing as with the cassettes.  Deck sat idle.  When I wanted use it, I discovered it no longer worked.  Found this at a Thrift Store for $20.   My late night B-Movie collection (complete with car dealer commercials)  thanks it.
Tivo HD.  For time shifting. No cable box,  I'm a cordcutter.  Have an antenna on the roof.


On the built in shelf above - The speakers.



RSL Studio Monitors - Had them since the '80's.   The woofers were re-coned a couple of years ago.  . The repair shop was taking a long time.  The holidays were quickly approaching.  I pleaded with them to hurry it up as I needed to hear Robert Goulet's Wonderful World of Christmas through them or my holiday would be ruined.  They told me they'd do it for Goulet.  Speakers still sound really good.

There's a TV in another cabinet with a Roku Box and an HTPC.  This isn't an AV blog wo I won't go into much detail.

Everything connects to the receiver.  



No comments:

Post a Comment