What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Saturday, April 13, 2019

King Kong - Jean-Luc Ponty Plays The Music of Frank Zappa


Jean-Luc Ponty - King Kong Jean Luc Ponty Plays the Music of Frank Zappa (World Pacific Jazz 1969)

Produced by Frank Zappa.   This record is sort of companion piece to Zappa's Hot Rats.  The lead character here being French jazz violinist Jean-Luc Ponty rather than electric guitarist Frank Zappa/


Mothers Art Tripp and Ian Underwood contribute.  Future Mother George Duke came along with Jean_luc Ponty.  Zappa has one guitar cameo on the record, but this is more about the arrangements that anything else.


Jean-Luc Ponty joined the Mothers for a brief spell around the  Overnite Sensation LP.  When Zappa was on SNL in a Coneheads skit, he made reference to once having a French person in the band, so he understood the Conehead's idiosyncrasies.  (Remember the Coneheads pretended to be from France. 

Released on the World Pacific Jazz label. 




No comments:

Post a Comment