What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Thursday, May 16, 2019

Restoring the Dust Cover on an SL-D2 - Part 2

Now that the hinges are in, let's work on the plastic itself.  As mentioned earlier, it's not worth the effort if the hinges don't work.   Here's a before picture - although I had already started sanding the burn marks.



The handy tool to use is a 'headlight restoration kit' which can be purchased at most auto parts stores.  




If your dustcover has branding, you may want to preserve it. 

A simple strip of masking tape will do.

Next step is to sand away with reckless abandon.   The headlight restoration kit will give instructions on the varying abrasiveness of the sandpaper.   Start with he most coarse and work your way down to the finest.   This gets very messy.  Do this outside as well.  You'll need to hose yourself off when done,


Once the sanding is complete, you get to use the rubbing compound.   Apply liberally and rub one out.


Here are the two I just completed.  The one on the left had some horrible cracks that needed to be secured with duct tape.   It still functions well as a dust cover.   The one on the right is in better shape than one I had in service.  It was switched out.


It's now enjoying its rightful place in service on a turntable.  It doesn't do anything to enhance the basic look of the homely turntable, but at least the turntable is wearing a nice outfit now.


No comments:

Post a Comment