What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Norman F_____ Rockwell



So this is the title of unaffected pop princess Lana Del Rey's latest whine fest.  I'm so edgy I titled my well promoted album with a title most newspapers will not publish in it's entirety.  Much like typing G_d, everyone knows what it means but are too afraid to write it.

Life it hard - we know sweetie - but would it hurt you to smile a bit while slowly walking to the bank. Do you think it would ruin your brand?

A recent spate of promo pictures has her posing in front of someone's very impressive vinyl collection.  Yes, we all agree that vinyl makes you hip these days. I'm more interested in the shelving.  It has more personality.

Image result for lana del rey la times photoshoot
Those would go under 'F' Lana, not 'M,'

What album do you pick to hold?  Fleetwood Mac Rumours.  Gee, of all those records you pick this one?  You're so hip.  It's like she's pontificating about a record she assumes her audience has not heard.

So let's talk Norman Rockwell for a moment.  He was to the Saturday Evening Post as Mort Drucker was to Mad Magazine.  A populist illustrator whose work has been elevated to high art in some circles.  (Although I'm one of only a few who feel this way about Mort Drucker).   Both had a keen sense of humor and joy. Perhaps that's what Lana has a problem with.

The real Norman Rockwell did the cover of the Mike Bloomfield/Al Kooper live album recorded at the Fillmore Auditorium in San Francisco in 1968.   So there hipster Lana.  Rockwell did have some links to the counterculture.



I love this record. The show was hastily thrown together after Columbia released an album of studio jams by two of  Dylan's mid sixties sidemen.  It features John Kahn, the bass player in pretty much all of Jerry Garcia's non Grateful Dead projects.




Ace musicians doing loose jams. What's not to like.





No comments:

Post a Comment