What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Thursday, December 26, 2019

One Hit Wonder with a Bubblegum Psych Hit - The Lemon Pipers


One thing to always keep in mind with one-hit wonders is that they never intended to start off this way.  There were always many attempts at getting a hit following the breakthrough.

The Lemon Pipers from Ohio scored a big hit with Green Tambourine in 1968.  An album was thrown together and really shines with the extended psych jams that close the record.  Unfortunately, with a bubblegum psych hit to their credit, they were ignored by the target audience.

Fast forward (well not so fast really) to their second (and final) album released a few months later

The Lemon Pipers - Jungle Marmalade (Buddah 1968)

I almost typed Green Marmalade without thinking.   

Anyway, A few tracks start the record that are obvious attempts to get another bubblegum psych hit.  


Side two is where it gets a little interesting.  Extended jams that must have been exciting  when performed in one of the psychedelic dungeons popping up on every street. 



A fan of dated psych lyrics, I'm particularly fond of 'You're on a dead end street without the sense to turn around!'




No comments:

Post a Comment