What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Sunday, January 10, 2016

Leon Russell Rarity


Leon Russell's first solo album was released on his own Shelter Records in 1970.  Russell, a longtime session player in Hollywood, musically returned to his Oklahoma roots with a white gospel tinged sound for his debut.  The sound was influential to many bands in the early seventies.  The Rolling Stones, Joe Cocker, George Harrison and Derek & The Dominoes clearly drew inspiration from the sound Russell pioneered.   


At the time of this release, Shelter was distributed by Blue Thumb Records.  Sometime around 1971. Distribution of Shelter product went to Capitol Records.   This title was immediately reissued on Capital at the time of the switch, but they left something out.



One short track, Old Masters, didn't make the cut.  The track was Dylan's Masters of War sung to the tune of The Star Spangled Banner.

No comments:

Post a Comment