What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Tuesday, May 24, 2016

E is for Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Since I'm going through the alphabet on this silly game of mine, The day I arrive at E I hear that Keith Emerson died.

                                                 Every day a little sadder
                                                     A little madder
                                               Someone get me a ladder

I used a ladder - well a step stool at least - to get up to where the E's are filed.

ELP was one of the first bands I ever saw live. February 10th, 1974,  Anaheim Convention Center.  Across the street from Disneyland.  I sat in the Loge, Section 3 Row G Seat 6.

At the time they were touring Brain Salad Surgery.  So record wise I'll present the tie in single.

Brain Salad Surgery b/w Still... You Turn Me On  (Manticore 1974)

This is a promo only single released to coincide with the album.  The A side is not included in that collection.  I guess it was designed to get radio play and create awareness that an album of the same name existed.




The image on the picture sleeve was done by HR Giger, a Dutch artist who later went on to design Alien.


It was released on ELP's vanity label, Manticore.



As a side note on this band.   In 1972, they recorded Pictures at an Exhibition.  This was a classical piece with added lyrics here and there.  The cover featured blank picture frames.



For a while in the early '80's, this record was a mainstay of the used record bins.  ELP was victim of the prog backlash at the time brought on by the rise of punk and new wave.   Many of these records were 'enhanced' by the previous owner with their own artwork in the blank frames.   I once thought it would be cool to collect these as outsider art.   When I finally got around to carrying out my plan, I couldn't find any altered ones.  I'm still on the lookout.




No comments:

Post a Comment