What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Sunday, May 1, 2016

Prince - Purple Rain - The Big One


Nothing really rare or exciting here, just the most successful record of Prince's career.

I usually don't show stuff this common, but I'm going to show it anyway in all it's original packaging glory.


Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain (Warner Brothers 1984)

This is the one that allowed Prince crossover to the rock audience.  I had been a fan prior to this practically wearing out 1999, Controversy and Dirty Mind.   I was shocked one afternoon to hear the lead off single on Los Angeles' KMET rock radio.   Perhaps it was the rockin' lead guitar that starts it off or the picture sleeve where he looks like Jimi Hendrix.


My copy still has the shrink wrap and original sticker (both promotional and price).  I bought it at a Music Plus.  Either San Gabriel or Whittier.




The inner sleeve.....




And a custom label.



And a full color poster.




And as was my habit at the time, a concert ad for the tour.   I went on February 18th.  Sat in section 5, Row 13, Seat 14.  Prince took a bath on stage.  Wendy and Lisa prepared it for him.





No comments:

Post a Comment