What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Sunday, November 20, 2016

Captain Beefheart - Lick My Decals Off, Baby

For a long time I've been looking for a viny1 copy of this album  Finally found a copy at Rasputin's in Berkeley, CA

Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band - Lick My Decals Off, Baby   (Straight   1970)

This is the follow up to their classic Trout Mask Replica double LP from the prior year.  Often times is sounds like cacophony of sound,  In reality, the Captain rehearsed his band relentlessly.  This is exactly like he wanted it to sound,  There is nothing like a Captain Beefheart record.  Highly influential, never imitated,


The back features Captain Beefheart's original artwork.  He would later abandon music for a career as a visual artist.


My big thrill is having the original pressing on the Straight Records label


When Frank Zappa left Verve/MGM, he set up his own label through Warner Brothers/Reprise.  Bizarrre Records was for Mothers of Invention/Frank Zappa releases (along with Lenny Bruce and Wild Man Fischer).  Straight Records was set up for other artists nurtured by Zappa.   Captain Beefheart was one of those.  As was Alice Cooper and the GTO's (Girls Together Outrageously)   The Straight moniker didn't last all that long and later pressings of Straight product appeared on Warner Brothers or Reprise.

Space age couple, why don't you flex your magic muscle?

No comments:

Post a Comment