What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Monday, November 28, 2016

The Irrepressible Ricky


It's been a long time since I've randomly pulled something out of the 7 inch collection.

So here we go with Ricky Nelson.

Critic types malign him as being lightweight. Elvis light.

The guy is the son of a band leader and his singer.  He grew up on his parents' TV show.  First as the young 'Irrepressible' Ricky.  Then growing up into a genuine teenage idol.

I don't have to apologize for liking his early rockabilly sides.  He had the best musicians daddy's connections and money could acquire.  Most notably guitarist James Burton.

Here are two EP's from one of those massive blind singles purchases.

Ricky Nelson - Down the Line EP  (Imperial 1958)



Ricky Nelson - You'll Never Know What You're Missin'  (Imperial 1959)

This one features the Jordanaires




Rick's later career veered into soft country rock before The Byrds and The Eagles adopted the genre.   He died in a plane crash after allegedly freebasing cocaine caused a fire onboard.




No comments:

Post a Comment