What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Monday, March 13, 2017

Mashed Potato Beach Party with The Ventures

So I'm rummaging through the bins at Rasputin's in Berkeley when I came across this Ventures album

The Ventures- Mashed Potatoes and Gravy (Dolton 1962)



I was under the impression that I already had their entire Dolton catalog.   I looked in my trusty database of the collection - which I sync to my smartphone - and saw I didn't have this one.


I was only half right.   The dance craze, do the 'whatever' series of records was dying as beach music began filtering into the mainstream in that brief window before The Beatles.

Gee  - so what's Dolton to do?   Reissue a mashed potato record as a beach record.

The Ventures - Beach Party (Dolton 1963)

Since it's instrumental music, it worked.


So yeah, same songs to be played on a portable phonograph at the beach.  I personally would never take a record to the beach.  Sand, sun and Coppertone do not mix well with vinyl.



To further the confusion.  The record inside the Beach Party cover was Mashed Potatoes and Gravy.  This could have been switched after birth, but Dolton may have just made new covers for old records that didn't sell.



No comments:

Post a Comment