What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Sunday, March 19, 2017

Chuck Berry. Long Live Rock and Roll


So sad to see the passing of Chuck Berry.   He lived to ripe old age of 90, but will live on in perpetuity as long as there is Rock and Roll.  

This is a guy who brought the electric guitar to the fore as the definitive instrument.  His songs could be mini epics with distinct story lines (Johnny B. Goode and it's sequel Bye Bye Johnny), or just celebrations of teenage life and love of Rock and Roll (Rock and Roll Music, Sweet Little Rock and Roller).

Oh Mommy Mommy
Please may I go?
It's such a sight to see
Somebody steal the show.
-------------------------------

Hail, hail rock and roll
Deliver me from the days of old
Long live rock and roll
The beat of the drums, loud and bold
Rock, rock, rock and roll
The feelin' is there, body and soul.


etcetera.

As far as records go, I have about four different compilations.  My wife has some before we were married.  I had a few as well.  We were always in search of them in glorious mono only to be greeted with 'enhanced for stereo' pressings.

I came across this one at a thrift store.  Perfect shape save for that stain on the left.  It's from a thrift store so I am not even allowing myself to be curious.  It's in glorious mono and sounds fantastic.   Five records and 71 songs.





If conspiracy theories hold, the powers that be tried to kill Rock and Roll.  They drafted Elvis, threw Chuck Berry in prison for being a black man with a white girl, and shot down Buddy Holly.

Glad to know they couldn't kill it.   Chuck's music has been blasted into space for alien races to discover.

After jail, Berry released a few more records.  Nadine is one of my favorites.  No guitar solo, but listen to the phrasing during the lines: Hey conductor you must slow down. I think I see her. Please let me off the bus.  You can almost hear the string bends as his voice mimics Berry's 'circle back' guitar style.




No comments:

Post a Comment