What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Friday, May 5, 2017

Record Shopping Adventure in New Orleans

This Record Store Day I found myself in New Orleans for a corporate retreat.  I didn't really have time to wait in line for stuff.  Fortunately, my daughter gave it her best shot at my local store back home.  Between the two of us, we made out OK.  We only struck out on three titles between us.

Of course I went record shopping as I always do in other cities.




Skully'z

Possibly the smallest store I have ever been in.   Don't let that fool you.  They had well curated stock and very friendly clerks.  Got there about 15 minutes after they opened on Record Store Day.  The campers already got most of the good stuff, but I managed to get the Springsteen live album, the Ramones singles box and two Kinks EP's.


Image result for skullyz records


The next day, the retreat was over and our flight wasn't until later in the day.  My wife and I took a long walk which was routed to pass by some other stores in The Big Easy.


Louisiana Music Factory

Located in the Frenchman Street area where they keep the jazz clubs.  Still managed to snag a few Record Store Day titles, but mostly loaded up on used stuff.   A great store.  Very heavy on the local music styles.   A must to visit when in the neighborhood.





Euclid Records

We made our way to the Bywater district which, ironically, is by water.   This is an area of old warehouses that seem to be being taken over by artists.  Euclid Records is a satellite store of the one in St. Louis.   It used to be pink and almost missed it in its new yellowish coat.  

Great selection.  Also a must-visit in the area.




While I was in shopping, my wife went outside to call home to make sure the kids were still alive.  While outside she found a Dean Martin 45 on the sidewalk.  Of course we snagged it.
  

I love found records and will always take them home for a spin.  This one is special.  It's a Roger Miller style 'ridin the rails' type song.  Appropriately she found it near some railroad tracks.


We dined at a bratwurst place next door that had picnic tables in an empty lot. From there, Uber to the Ritz to pick up bags and a cab ride through the cemeteries to the Louis Armstrong Airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment