What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Friday, April 20, 2018

John Cale 1980

In 1980, John Cale re-emerged on the scene a few years after his Helen of Troy album with a live album of new material recorded at the iconic punk venue CBGB's.


John Cale - Sabotage!/Live (Spy/IRS 1980)

Recorded on the cheap, it captured the intensity of Cale's shows at the time.   He had returned to live performance about a year earlier and played in my neck of the woods quite a bit.  The sets consisted of primarily new material.   Despite his storied past of being a founding member of the Velvet Underground, the shows were small affairs and the ticket stubs I've saved credit the evening's entertainment to John Cole or John Kale.  The new record was imminent, but kept getting delayed.



Yes, it's an awesome live album, but I really wanted to talk about the single.


John Cale - Mercenaries (Ready for War)/The Rosegarden Funeral of Sores (Spy/IRS 1980)

The A Side is a STUDIO version of the lead off track on the album.  Not sure if the original intent was to record a studio album and it just got sidetracked.   Supposedly, the master tapes have been lost or destroyed which has prevented this from being available in any form other than this 45.


The B Side is a real gem.  Cale's distorted voice cuts through heavy bass and a drum machine. 


'vocal distortion intended' warns the label.


No comments:

Post a Comment