What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Let It Out (Let it All Hang Out)

Aside from loving the song, I picked this one up because it was a 45 on Verve.   I didn't have any as highly collectable 45's by The Velvet Underground or The Mothers have proven elusive or hideously expensive.

The Hombres - Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)/Go Girl, Go  (Verve 1967)



That said, what's the story with this pressing.   The LP that includes this is on Verve Forecast.  I did a little research and found out a few things.

Verve Forecast was the result of a joint venture between Folkways and MGM.  MGM wanted to preserve the Folkways imprint to segregate the folk music true to it's image.  Folk releases went out out on Verve Folkways.  Rock/Psych releases had the imprint of Verve Forecast.   

So why the blue Verve label on this one?   According to legend (and the entries on 45cat.com), the Monarch pressing plant ran out of Verve Forecast labels and pressed them using the label of the parent company Verve.    Since this 45 was shooting up the charts at a breakneck pace, demand was high and on a rush given the short shelf life of hit songs then.   Monarch couldn't wait and improvised.

The B-Side is a pathetic little Beach Boys knock off.


No comments:

Post a Comment