What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Friday, November 9, 2018

Our B Side

I love 45's.   The B Side for me is the main attraction.   Let's take a moment to talk about Three Dog Night. 

They didn't write their own material - which resulted in them not being taken seriously by 'serious' rock audiences.  They were primarily an AM singles band at the time AOR was taking over.

So here's one of their last singles....

Shambala b/w Our 'B' Side  (Dunhill 1973)

One of my favorite sub genres - the mystical magical place song.  The best one being by The Cramps - Kizmiaz.   Anyway  - this is Three Dog Night.  It's pure pop and not psych at all.


So let's talk about the B side.   In many cases when the band didn't write their own material or had one main songwriter  - others were allowed a composition on the B Side.   The Who did this with B-Sides typically written by Entwistle, Daltrey or Moon while Townshend had the A Side.  Royalties on singles were equally split between the A and B side so the composer of a sub standard B side got the same reward as the composer of the hit.

Three Dog Night didn't even come up with something good enough for that purpose until later in their career.

Band members Jimmy Greenspoon, Chuck Negron and Corey Wells pulled together this little ditty.  They didn't even try to  conceal the purpose.



Sample lyric

Here it is, our big break baby
Yes it is, our B side baby
Someday we'll write an A side maybe
But if we will, what should we write baby
Rock and roll, blues in half time
Soft and low, or even old reggae

We'll try to make our minds rhyme baby
It's your fault if we're just lazy
Kids, are you humming it?
1, 2, 3, 4

Anyway  - shout out to Chuck Negron.  He lives up the street from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment