What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Friday, November 16, 2018

The Beatles on ATCO

It's well known that Capitol Records turned down it's right of first refusal on The Beatles in 1963.  As a result, their early EMI sides were picked up by Chicago based R&B label Vee-Jay for USA release.   Some of these crept out on Vee-Jay subsidiary Tollie.     Subsequent 45's got picked up by Philadelphia indie Swan.

Prior to signing with EMI, The Beatles spent a well documented time in Hamburg honing their craft.  While there, they recorded as a backing band for UK Ex-Pat Tony Sheriden.  One of these recordings featured a John Lennon vocal.  It was up for grabs as a US release.  At the height of Beatlemania, ATCO wanted a crack at it.

The result is this semi-rarity,  The Beatles on ATCO with Pete Best on drums. 

The Beatles - Ain't She Sweet b/w Nobody's Child    (ATCO 1964)



No comments:

Post a Comment