What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Lemon Pipers - Beyond The Green Tambourine

To most of the world, The Lemon Pipers are considered one hit wonders with their pop/psych gem Green Tambourine.

Their story goes a little deeper.   Signing to Buddha Records in 1967 was probably not the best move artistically for the Cincinnati band.  The Lemon Pipers were a psych band.  Buddha was a bubblegum label - the home to the 1910 Fruitgum Company and The Ohio Express.   When it came time to do the first album, Buddha enlisted Brill Building songwriters to come up with safe hippy songs for 12 year olds.  

The Lemon Pipers - Green Tambourine  (Buddha 1968)




I picked up this LP at a record fair.  Mostly out of curiosity to see what a nine minute Lemon Pipers tune could be like.




Evidently what happened was this.....    There weren't enough songs to fill the album, so they needed to fill the remainder with long tracks that were more in line with who The Lemon Pipers were. The result is awesome and completely changed my perception of the band.





No comments:

Post a Comment