What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Pop Artist Doing an Album of Standards

I recently heard a trailer for the Linda Ronstadt documentary.  I think it was Stevie Nicks - that nasal voiced, coke addled, high priestess of rock - commenting how Linda was the first rock/pop artist to explore The Great American Songbook.   Not so fast witchy-poo. 

Harry Nilsson did it a good then years prior. 

Nilsson - A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night (RCA 1973)

This was a somewhat bold move for someone primarily known as a songwriter.  Not what his audience expected after the top notch rockin Nilsson Schmilsson and Son of Schmilsson LP's.


Where Linda used Nelson Riddle for orchestration, Harry used Gordon Jenkins for arrangements.   Jenkins preceded Riddle in his work with Sinatra.


No comments:

Post a Comment