What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Monday, January 16, 2017

Good on the Side

I can't stress the importance of being good on the side......

In the '70's and '80's when records were pressed in the millions, quality control sometimes took a left turn.

Here are some examples.


The Cry of Love - the first and one of the best posthumous Jimi Hendrix albums.   It was a big seller.  Take a look at the upper left.



You'll notice the writing on the spine is way off-center.   This renders the side when filing away to look like this:



Not too easy to pick off a shelf (unless you instinctively know this resides between Band of Gypsys  and Rainbow Bridge).

Here's another example.  It seems they didn't even try with this one as the writing is completely on the front.


When going to the local record emporium to pick out the latest million seller, checking the side was always an important part of selecting a copy.   I remember going through 25 or so of one particular title to find none that were 'good on the side.'   A visit to another store got me what I needed.

Sides can be overlooked when a bargain is at hand or something sticks out in the used bin.

See below for a small section of my collection which features many 'good on the side' titles.



No comments:

Post a Comment