What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Sunday, January 28, 2018

All This and World War II

All This and World War II (20th Century Fox Records 1976)

What a disaster.  I was intrigued with this title from the get-go as it contained tracks by Bryan Ferry and Peter Gabriel.  Too many people I couldn't stand a the time prevented me from shelling out big bucks for just two tracks.   The Ferry track ended up as a B-Side to a contemporary single, so I was Ok on passing.

Fast forward to years later.   I found a beat up copy at a thrift store.   I picked it up.  The cover was a wreck, but the vinyl was pristine.  Seems those who bought it never played it more than once.

What a useless piece of vinyl.




Someone had the brilliant idea of combining Beatles songs with and orchestra sung by current pop stars.  The only one that really worked was the Ferry track (She's Leaving Home) as the Beatles version was from the same ilk.

Do I really need The Brothers Johnson doing Hey Jude with an orchestra?  Maybe in alternate novelty world.



I pulled it out recently as I recalled there were two Roy Wood tracks that I don't believe I ever played.

Two letter review of the whole thing.   P.U.

Not quite as bad as the Bee Gees/Peter Frampton effort.  An album that has the distinction of shipping triple platinum and returned double platinum as retailers couldn't sell it.  All This and World War II was a bomb from the get go.  Now it's a UXB as people find it in thrift stores and expect to hear tracks by their favorite stars.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment