What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Thursday, September 20, 2018

Peter Gunn


Quite simply one of the coolest albums to come out of the '50's.  

The Music From Peter Gunn (RCA 1959)

This may (or may not be) the first soundtrack album to a TV show.  The mood of this is cool jazz, but the title track has a persistent riff that's pure rock and roll.  It's been covered by Duane Eddy and Jimi Hendrix.  They don't get much cooler than this.



This is an 'orthophonic' recording - which means they used electric microphones instead of acoustic horns for recording.   RCA was the first company to do this - IN 1925!   The term stuck until stereo and Dynagroove took over.

This was the first ever record to win a Grammy as album of the year - a category they got horribly wrong in years to come.  Christopher Cross comes to mind.  (apologies to those who like cupcakes).

No comments:

Post a Comment