What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Do You Think This Artist Would Have Gotten a Record Deal If They Didn't Have a Famous Family Member? #6 - Gary Lewis

Gary was the son of the famous Jerry Lewis.  He was discovered playing at Disneyland and quickly ushered into the studio.   Top notch session musicians were brought in.  One hit was penned by an outside songwriter.  An album quickly pulled together with sure fire covers.....

Gary Lewis and the Playboys - This Diamond Ring (Liberty 1965)

But, Let's check out the credits on this one.    Produced by Snuff Garrett.  Arranged by Leon Russell.  Hal Blaine on drums.  Carol Kaye on bass.  This Diamond Ring was written by Al Kooper.   Not slacker people by any means.

Ed Sullivan and Jerry Lewis on the cover - just in case you didn't know Gary was pedigreed with papers! 





































Highlight for me is his cover of The Kinks' All Day and All Of the Night.  A great exciting riff offset by Gary's three note nasal vocal delivery.   

Allow me to get off topic. It was not uncommon at the time for teenagers to write their names on records.  This ensured the record got returned to the rightful owner after a party or sock hop.










In this particular case, the owner included their address and phone number.  Sometimes when the address is in my local metropolis I have the desire to drive by.  At the very least I look in Google Maps and take a gander at the house.  This record is over 50 years old.  Wouldn't it be fun to show up at the door.  " Hi, I have something that belongs to you.  Can you ever forgive me for not returning it sooner."


No comments:

Post a Comment