What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Sinatra Sings for JFK

At a recent rummage fest through a pile of '45's I came across this little curio.  Knowing exactly what it was,  I got aroused and had to get my spindle into it right away. 

High Hopes with Jack Kennedy b/w Jack Kennedy All the Way (No label   1960)



What we got here is Frank Sinatra doing a campaign song for JFK!   I saw one for sale the other day for $750.   I paid far far less for it as I the seller had no idea what it was.


Backstory:

Only 1,000 of these were pressed.   They were given out at rallies - presumably to big donors - and local radio stations.   These were pressed by Capitol on vinyl (rather than styrene) which is fortunate as it held up nicely.

Sinatra takes his popular hit 'High Hopes' and reworks the lyrics in support of his candidate.  As history would have it, JFK won the election by defeating Richard Nixon.  Perhaps Nixon thought he lost because he didn't have a campaign 45.   He wouldn't repeat this shortfall in '68.  More on that in a Future post.

In the meantime, here are the lyrics.

Everyone is voting for Jack 
Cause he's got what all the rest lack 
Everyone wants to back -- Jack 
Jack is on the right track. 
'Cause he's got high hopes 
He's got high hopes 
Nineteen Sixty's the year for his high hopes. 
Come on and vote for Kennedy 
Vote for Kennedy 
And we'll come out on top! 
Oops, there goes the opposition - ker - 
Oops, there goes the opposition - ker - 
Oops, there goes the opposition - KERPLOP! 
K--E--DOUBLE N--E--D--Y 
Jack's the nation's favorite guy 
Everyone wants to back -- Jack 
Jack is on the right track. 
'Cause he's got high hopes 
He's got high hopes 
Nineteen Sixty's the year for his high hopes. 
Come on and vote for Kennedy 
Vote for Kennedy 
Keep America strong. 
Kennedy, he just keeps rollin' - a - 
Kennedy, he just keeps rollin' - a - 
Kennedy, he just keeps rollin' along.

No comments:

Post a Comment