What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Monday, October 28, 2019

RIP Series - Ginger Baker

This one actually made the front page of the newspaper.   Ginger Baker was one of the greatest rock drummers ever - although he claimed he never played rock drums.   His background was jazz when he joined Cream.  His influences were Art Blakey and African music.  He incorporated this into his work with Cream which opened up their influential 'power trio' sound.

He had the demeanor of a crotchety old man since his '20's.

Following Cream he (as rumor has it) weaseled his way into Blind Faith against Eric Clapton's wishes.   He then pulled together his own Band - Ginger Baker's Airforce with a host of legendary players.

Ginger Baker's Air Force (Atco 1970)





In the early '70's he moved to Africa to pursue his drumming passion.  There he opened a recording studio (used by McCartney for Band on the Run) and championed local musician Fela Kuti - playing with him live and on record. 

Many projects followed.  The Baker-Gurvitz Army.  Appearances on PIL's fantastic Album release.  Joining Hawkwind for a spell.

A nice surprise for me was an instrumental album he made later in his career.

Ginger Baker - Middle Passage (Axiom 1990)

I picked it up because it looked interesting and was inexpensive.  Boy I was glad I did.





Required viewing is the documentary Beware Mr. Baker.  The opening sequence has him breaking the nose of his interviewer!




No comments:

Post a Comment