What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Kinky Surprise



While rummaging through the used 45's rack at my local record emporium, I came across this.   One of the Survivors was pulled from The Kinks 1973 LP Preservation Act I.   The B-Side, Scrapheap City, appeared on Preservation Act 2 the following year.   My record geek senses were tingling.   Why would The Kinks release a single from an album that wouldn't be released for another year?   Was it an early demo?  It was $2 and I took a chance.


Well I had me a surprise.   On Preservation Act 2, Scrapheap City is sung by a female vocalist.  On this 45 we get a slowed down bluesy version sung by Ray Davies.

According to the Goldmine Guide to American Records, this single was withdrawn and has a NM value of $200.  I've never seen it for sale at that price.

In addition, the A-Side is different as well.  No Dave Davies vocal on the bridge.

The Kinks - One of the Survivors b/w Scrapheap City (RCA 1973)






In addition, I came across this promo single of Preservation, a song that acts as sort of a trailer for the albums. 


The Kinks - Preservation (Long Version) b/w Preservation (Short Version)  (RCA 1974)


No comments:

Post a Comment