What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Thursday, November 9, 2017

Beat Swap Meet Comes to Grand Park - Los Angeles.

A beautiful Sunday in September.  A record swap meet comes to Grand Park - in the shadow of Los Angeles' iconic City Hall.

I took the subway downtown.   The train was packed with Dodger Fans, Rams Fans, DACA protesters, etc.  So nice to see people using the train for transportation rather than accommodation.

The subway exit is right in the middle of Grand Park and gives a great view of City Hall. 


Grand Park was created when the city decided to move parking lots underground and create a public space between City Hall and The Music Center.   It's been a huge success and hosts celebrations on New Year's Eve and Fourth of July, etc.

Turn the other way, and we get a view of why I came down here.   Seems the all-vinyl Beat Swap Meet has made its way to Grand Park.  


The selection of vendors was quite diverse with Latin and Hip Hop fairly represented.   Probably about 50 vendors total - many of whom were just guys with old records.  I use the Frampton Comes Alive test when deciding to crate dig.  If I see it for $15 I'll dig.  If I see it for $40 I'll pass.  They pressed millions of those things.  Supply far outdoes demand on that title.


This guy had Europe '72 (second row left) for $45 (probably reasonable as it was the green Warners label with booklet).  The Bowie Bootleg Dollars in Drag  (third row second from right) was $150 (probably reasonable as well.  Fewer than 2000 were pressed).   I got few things from this guy.


I'm always on the lookout for trends.  It seems the hot items this season (at least here in LA) are blaxploitation soundtracks.  'Coffy' was playing from one vendor when I got there.  I saw the Truck Turner soundtrack for $40.  I held it and pondered, but ultimately put it back.

Stereotypes abounded.  If I ordered a 'record geek' from central casting and posed him in a photo, I don't think I could have done better than this.


I was merely trying take a quick photo of the Velvet Underground covers in various states of peel  This guy just happened to be there.

I came away with a few titles.    No record over $10.   Three are from the 3 for $5 crate.


I hope this swap meet is a regular deal.  Come back.  I'll go.


No comments:

Post a Comment