What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Friday, June 1, 2018

Capitol Records Souvenir

Evidently this 45 was given out to visitors of the building.   Not sure if they offered tours at the time


The building is probably THE most iconic record company headquarters on earth.  A stack of records rises above a state of the art recording studio.  It's topped off with a needle.  The airplane warning red light flashes H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D in Morse code.


The legendary big room could house an entire orchestra.  Frank Sinatra was the first artist to use it.  He continued recording there long after he left the label.

The Beatles, even though they were on Capitol, never recorded there.  The Beach Boys tended to use Gold Star down the street.   The Band tried it, but found the sound too slick and recorded their second LP in Sammy Davis Jr's pool house just up the hill.

The studio is not open to the public and they don't offer tours.  I was fortunate enough to have a walk through when my wife was recording some voiceovers at the facility.   I was shown the big room, but was more interested in where Gene Vincent recorded.   He was in a tiny room down the hall no bigger than a small suburban bedroom.



The building is soon to be dwarfed by two high rise condo buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment