What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Sinatra for the UK Only

In 1962, Frank Sinatra visited the UK.   While there, he recorded with Robert Farnon, one of the top conductors in Great Britain.  As Usual, Sinatra didn't do multiple takes.  He had a sore throat and was unhappy with the results.  The result is this LP that was only released in the UK

Sinatra Sings Great Songs from Great Britain  (Reprise 1962)


My basic review is that it ain't that good.  The arrangements aren't really there and Sinatra actually sounds bored.  I can see why Frank chose to keep this under wraps in the USA.  That said, he still sings rings around the current crop of imitators.  Hello Michael Buble.

To get a little geek - Reprise was distributed in the UK via an arrangement with Pye.  This would explain why Reprise got The Kinks

And for you total geeks, the photo of Sinatra on the label is different from the ones used on US Reprise.




No comments:

Post a Comment