What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Monday, October 1, 2018

RIP Series - Marty Balin

Not much more can be said about counter-culture heroes Jefferson Airplane (yes kids, there is no 'the').  The band started in the San Francisco folk scene which morphed into the 'San Francisco Sound.'  JA was the first band to get signed by a major - RCA.  Following their success, every major had to have their San Francisco Band.  Warner Brothers got The Grateful Dead.  Columbia got Big Brother an Moby Grape.  Capitol got Quicksilver and Steve Miller.   Jefferson Airplane cracked mainstream AM radio with White Rabbit and Somebody to Love.  They headlined the Saturday night slot at Woodstock (which ended up with them going on Sunday morning).

To most, Grace Slick is the focal point of the band.  Not to diminish her contribution, I wholeheartedly disagree.   Paul Kantner contributed vocals, guitars and songs. Bass and guitar duo Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady anchored the sound with their unique style.  When they left the band to devote their full attention to Hot Tuna, JA became Jefferson Starship. 

And they had three singers who could weave in and out of each other like great jazzmen.  Paul Kantner, Grace Slick and the recently departed Marty Balin.  Marty was the guy who got knocked unconscious at Altamont.   He left the band shortly thereafter.

Marty's contribution is never more evident than on their first live album

Jefferson Airplane - Bless Its Pointed Little Head  (RCA 1968)




The first track on Side 2 consists of everything that made the band great.   Starting with Jack's slap base as everyone else slowly comes in.   Then the vocals.  Starting with Paul, but quickly overshadowed by Grace and Marty.   Hot lead guitar from Jorma accompany the soaring vocals.





The next two tracks showcase Marty on lead vocals.  It's No Secret which was chosen as Jefferson Airplane's first single.

I have an original pressing.  A pre Dynaflex RCA.   It came with a black inner sleeve and an insert.   Why, I don't know.




Marty's stellar contribution to this set is Plastic Fantastic Lover, his love song to his stereo system.

 Worth a lyric reprint.

Her neon mouth with a bleeding talk smile
Is nothing but electric sign
You could say she has an individual style
She's a part of a colorful time
Super-sealed lady, chrome-color clothes
You wear 'cause you have no other
But I suppose no one knows
You're my plastic fantastic lover
Your rattlin' cough never shuts off
Is nothing but a used machine
Your aluminum finish, slightly diminished
Is the best I've ever seen
Cosmetic baby, plug into me
And never, ever find another
And I realize no one's wise
To my plastic fantastic lover
The electrical dust is starting to rust
Her trapezoid thermometer taste
All the red tape is mechanical rape
Of the TV program waste
Data control and I.B.M.
Science is mankind's brother
But all I see is draining me
On my plastic fantastic lover


So when you think of Marty Balin, throw out that MOR crap from the '70's.   You don't need Miracles.   Go for Volunteers or After Bathing at Baxters. Jefferson Airplane if full flight can be stunning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment