What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Thursday, April 13, 2017

Lennon/Ono Imagine/Fly

In the early post Beatle days, John Lennon and Yoko Ono released their albums in pairs.  I've already made reference to the two Plastic Ono Band albums which were two albums by the same artist (Plastic Ono Band).  One was called John Lennon and the other Yoko Ono.

Check out a post about that one here:

http://vinylstatistics.blogspot.com/2015/05/john-lennon-plastic-ono-band-vs-yoko.html

We all know (or at least should know) this one:

John Lennon - Imagine (Apple 1971)

Fewer folks are aware of Yoko Ono's companion album

Yoko Ono - Fly (Apple 1971)

Yoko's contribution is a mighty fine double album.     Similarities on the front cover include a slightly masked face and identical font.


The back features another glossy photo, same font, same logo and no credits.  Each includes a quote from the other...

Lennon's from Ono:  'Imagine the clouds dripping.  Dig a hole in your garden to put them in'  Yoko'63



Ono's quote from Lennon - an homage to the silly tag line for the film 'Love Story'

"Love means having to say you're sorry every five minutes"  John '71



Label wise, each comes with a white apple and photo of the artist.





I got my copy of Imagine when it came out.  It's still in great shape.   Played it once while a friend was over who commented 'I didn't know they released this on CD.'   I still have the poster, but the postcard has gone away.


The Ono album is a stunner.   The track Mind Train came on in rotation on my iPod while I was on the subway.  I had to play it twice.  It's like EDM prior to the genre even a gleam in some techie's garage.   Awesome relentless beat.  Have a listen.






No comments:

Post a Comment