What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Jonah Jones - I Dig Chicks




The adoration of women is a standard topic in popular music.  It's a many splendored thing.  It makes the world go round. It's all you need. And so on.   Despite the slightly un PC title, there really isn't that much to be offended about on the surface.

Analysis of the cover image tells a slightly different story.   Although there is nothing wrong with the general pursuit of women,  I think there might be an issue with harvesting them using giant earthmoving equipment.   You be the judge.   

I used to gaze up at this record on the wall of Lovell's Records in Uptown Whittier, CA.  It was proudly displayed amongst other jaw dropping cover images meant to amuse.

Many years later I inherited my father in law's record collection.   This record, along with a few others by Jonah Jones, was included.  

This record went from amusing to awesome.   A great example of 'jump jazz'.    Very swingin'.   Very peppy.  Heck, this record even won a Grammy for best jazz instrumental.     

Goes to show you can't always judge a record by the cover.

Below is an alternate cover from the European Budget Line MFP release.  Jonah Jones may dig Chicks, but it appears the feeling is not mutual in Europe.  


this photo is not from my collection

No comments:

Post a Comment