What's All This Then

Why should I care what this guy has to say?

The correct answer is that you shouldn’t. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Develop your own. I try to be sane and rational, but that may change with the level of caffeine intake. I’m just telling my stories in the hopes they may amuse and/or inform others. And... I Confess... I'm showing off my bitchen collection a bit.


Monday, September 8, 2014

Patty Duke - Don't Just Stand There

Patty Duke.  Talented actress.  Star on Broadway at a young age.  One of the youngest people to ever win an Academy Award.  Star of her own television series.  Role model for teenage girls.


Posing in a dress that looks like the ones my mom and my sister used to make from patterns.

As a star of stage screen and television, it only makes sense that she should be a recording star as well.  Someone at United Artists Records (which coincidentally was the studio behind her hit TV show) thought she could sing.  If she could, it's not evident on this record.  

This record has a hand written note on the front cover:

"Liz Gambon (Look at some of the songs  - even if you think I'm crazy)" 

OK. I'm not sure what this means.  The songs here consist of (among many others) 'Danke Schoen,' 'Say Something Funny,' 'The End of the World.'  I don't quite get it, but then again I'm not on the same wavelength as Liz and Patty.

Could Patty Duke be speaking to Liz Gambon in the same way the Beatles were speaking to Charles Manson?  

Could Liz Gambon have some sort of insight to Patty's later in life bout with bi-polar disorder?  Had we listened to Liz could we have gotten Patty the help she didn't seek until later in life?

Was Liz the only one who got the subliminal message from the TV show about Patty's sanity?  After all - she was schizophrenic with another personality in the form of a British 'cousin.'   

Was nobody alarmed that a hot dog made her lose control?


The mirror is often used as a cinematic symbol of a split personality

Patty did manage to further her career, succeeding her TV father as president of the Screen Actors Guild.  My favorite Patty Duke role is that of Neely O'Hara in 'Valley of the Dolls.'  Who can forget that hysterical fit in the rain screaming "Neely O'Hara" or the fight in the bathroom with Susan Hayward where she flushes a wig!

I don't remember where I bought this record. Most likely at a thrift store.




No comments:

Post a Comment